Saturday, September 20, 2008

We're moving...

Ok, its been forever since I last posted. I have to say I really struggle w/how much to say on these things. I'm hopeful that what I share will be helpful to someone else but also worry about offending people. I guess that's the people-pleaser in me. Well, today I'm going to take a bit of a risk and share our latest adventure. We've decided to put our house on the market and downsize and simplify. I know.....we're adding to our family but we're downsizing? I think this has been 3 years in the making but neither one of us was ready at the same time until about 1 1/2 months ago. What really led to this was a series our church was doing on the 10 Commandments. The whole series was seriously, soul-changing (thanks Ron & Ryan!) but the week in particular that got us was a message on loving your neighbor. The bottom line that Jim & I came to was that we were too busy fixing up our house to even have time to love our neighbors and that our house had become an idol for us. We both decided that we would downsize and simplify because there are too many other things in this life that are far more important than a big house in a great neighborhood. It may seem radical to some but I can't even describe the peace that swept over both of us in thinking of getting rid of our idol and simplifying!

I'm not at all sharing this to brag or make us out to be some kind of spiritual giant. I wanted to share this because perhaps God is calling you to lay down something that you have made more important than Him. If so, I want to encourage you to go for it. The ways that God will bless you will far outnumber whatever you're laying down. For us, we'll have more quantity and quality time w/our daughter & future daughter and for our business as well as for our new neighbors. We'll be able to focus on what's most important and quite frankly, I just can't wait!

No comments: